Skip to main content

Making Progress

I am really enjoying knitting. Ask Mark. He makes fun of me all the time. I should have known I would like it. My favorite part of making sugar cookies (or cakes) is the icing/decorating part. I like to work with my hands in a creative way.

After making the doll blanket for Emma and scarf for Davis, I moved onto some little hats and booties for the baby. This was to give me some practice in knitting in the round as well as some other stitches. All those projects taught me a lot of the basics. They also taught me how to make my hands do what they needed to do to make the needles and yarn do what I wanted it to do.

After that, I felt it was time. Time to pick up the longies pattern and go for it. The first round was a hot mess. For one, I tried to do too many things in one pair (learn not only short rows, gusset, and grafting the gusset together but how to make increases in the legs? Bad plan.). Second, I got turned around at the legs and was knitting inside out. Hard to explain, but basically I was knitting backwards. Those first pair were gifted to Emma for her dolls. She was very sweet and told me they were very nice.

After that, I was more determined than ever to figure out how and where I had messed up and correct it. Time to cast on round two of practice longies. As I already have a list of pants to knit up both for the new baby and for Xander for the fall/winter. Got to get moving.

I cast on and began. I worked the waist, getting the ribbing just about spot on. At this point I am fairly good at discerning what is a knit and what is a purl stitch. Then, I attempted the jogless jog to change yarn colors. This time I got it right. Off to work the body, making short rows to allow for a cloth diapered bum. While they are still not perfect, they are much cleaner this time. I finished up the body and was ready for the gusset. I admit, I goofed the gusset up. I tried to do it without watching my videos and I needed to be talked through it. So my gusset is messy. I then divided for the legs. This is where last time I got completely turned around. After a few minuets, I figured it out and began working leg one.......CORRECTLY! I finished leg one, with a decent seed stitch cuff and went to graft the gusset. Because the gusset was already a mess, grafting was not the best. In other words, the crotch of the pants is a bit wonky. But they are holding together. They just do not look pretty. I got leg two worked the right way much quicker.

Here is the work in progress.

The front:
DSCF4189

The back:
DSCF4188

Once these are done, I am going to move on to my list of what I want to knit. Emma and Davis have requested a couple of things as well, so I will try to work on some of those as well.

Comments

HAPTeach said…
You are too talented :) Doing a great job!!!!!!
Rach said…
Ooooh I love these! Can you make me a pair? :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......