Skip to main content

Creature of Comfort

Once I found out I was pregnant again, I really thought about learning to knit. Why knit, you ask? Because I cloth diaper and love to use wool shorts and pants as a diaper cover/clothes for Xander. I knew I would want to do the same with this baby.

Mom taught me some knitting techniques years ago. I vaguely remember the needles and yarn and her teaching me to cast on and knit. I seemed to have not really retained it though.

Finally, a week ago, I bit the bullet. That is how I am. Jump in with both feet or not at all. Off I want to Wal-Mart to get some needles, a simple how-to book, and some yarn. I came home and started looking things over.

It seemed overwhelming. I turned to the internet for some how-to videos. Still overwhelmed. I lack patience and get frustrated easily as a result. I am also a creature of comfort and do not take to learning new things easily or readily.

The first night, I figured out how to cast on. Score one for me! The knit stitch was giving me a headache though and after two days I still had no idea what I was doing wrong, but it was not right. Finally, a breakthrough. I got it! Off I went. Knitting row after row.

So today I picked up my needles, a new ball of yarn and was determined to figure out a few knitting things.

After watching some videos (KnittingHelp.com), my goal was to weave my tail into my work, learn to slip the final stitch on a row to get a better looking edge, and figure out how to purl.

While the youngest napped and the big kids played the Wii, I sat down and got to work.

WOOT!!! I figured it out! I was able to knit one row, purl the next and get the stockinette stitch. It is still loose where I cast on and I think my knitting is a tad uneven still...and the edge still do not look very nice, but..... in a week I managed to learn: cast on, knit, purl, slip a stitch, weave in tail, and stockinette.

Since I lack patience and as a result get frustrated and overwhelmed easily.....knitting is teaching me not only how to knit for my kiddos but also to have patience, take things one step at a time, and stick with it.

Look mom, I am knitting!

Here is my frist attmept. This is a garter stitch, where you knit every row.
DSCF4042

This is the stockinette stitch, where you knit one row, purl the next and so on.
DSCF4043

I am going to work on these two things, scarves or small doll blankets for the big kids. To continue to hone my skills. Then I hope to learn to knit in the round and will tackle maybe some itty bitty socks and a hat for the baby. Once I get those down, I will move to learning the pants for both Xander and the baby for the fall.

YAY for learning new things!

Comments

Rach said…
I'm so proud of you, Abby, for taking on this challenge! I tried knitting a few years ago and found out we are not friends. :-) I'm glad you are though! Happy knitting to you!
Anonymous said…
I want a swim suit.

...by the way...

this is mimi
fancyPansy said…
Nicely done!!! I'llbe ordering some longies from you soon!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......