Skip to main content

I Got $20 Dollahs in my Pocket

I've been a follower of the blog  Young House Love for some time now. Not being much of a DYI'er myself, it has been fun getting some inspiration to tackle some things on my own.

Last week Sherry and John issued The Mackelmore Challenge. If you don't know who or what that is, where have you been? If you would like to educate yourself, simply click here. I have linked the clean version.

The challenge is as follows:

Step #1. Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – “$20 in your pocket”and take a picture. 

Step #2. Spend that $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils.

Step #3. Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic. 

Last week was a tad crazy, so we headed out today to see what was happening in the thrift world around our parts.

Step #1:


Do I get extra credit for it actually saying Thrift Shop?  Or for it being literally down the road?


Step 2:
Okay, we found all kinds of stuff. And we ended up making an afternoon out of thrifting and going to about five different stores.

Stop #1: The one pictured above, I think it is the community family store or something.



Here we found all kinds of goodies.  The prices at this little store are ridiculous.  At the top we have a yellow wire basket $1, in the basket is a full size flat sheet that is going to be used to recover dining room chairs $1.50, then we have a little silver tray $.30, A white ceramic sugar and creamer set $3, a ceramic bunny and duck $.50 each, and two Gap t-shirts $.25 each.  Bringing our total here to:

$7.30


Stop #2:  Hillcrest Thrift, another small community store.
 Here we picked up two China plates $1, two saucers $1, and two glass candlesticks $1.  I have some ideas so we will see what I do with these babies.  I think they will look really sweet in my kitchen.  Total here:  

$3


Stop #3:  Red Rack down the street.


Here we found a little silver basket $.99, the coolest wooden trees $3.98, and a Gymboree shirt for Elle that actually matches some jeans of the same line I picked up at another store a few weeks ago $1.98. Total here came to:

$6.95

These are the trees.  There were three in the bag, two still in the original packages unopened.  A quick search tells me that these sell for about $13.  So I think they were a total steal.  And I love them!

Stop #4:  Red Rack in Blue Springs.  I actually bought nothing here.  The kids, however, did.  That's in another picture.

Final Stop #5:  Goodwill


Here I found this picture which for some reason I really liked.  It was a red tag, 50%, so it was only $1.  The ceramic bunny was $.99 and the milk glass was also $.99.  I sent the milk glass home to live with my sister in her collection.  He was too cute to leave and he was only $.99.  Total:

$2.98

All in all my total for all the above was $20.23.  I don't think any of them charged tax, but to be honest I don't really remember.  


The kids also picked up some things and I did not include them in my total.  Elle found the container of straws for $1.50.  The older kids found the Spongebob Edition of Life for $5.98.  We found two shadow boxes for Emmaline to put her handmade charms in.  The house one on the left was $.99 and the one on the right has glass in it and it was $1.98.  Lastly, Elle found this Melissa and Doug wooden pull frog.  He was in excellent condition, so he came with us for $1.98.  Kids total:s

$12.43

Our grand total for all our spoils came in at $32.66.  All in all not too bad of a day of thrifting.

Step #3:  

At the first two stores I had Xan and Elle. So looking for things referenced in the song was not happening.  At stop #3 we had Emma and there I found the luggage.  Stops #4 and #5 we added Davis and.....yea.



The most interesting find of the day?  This toilet   It was only $13 I think.  And it looked fairly new.  But for some reason finding a toilet sitting in the midst of the thrift store caused me to laugh.  Pretty sweet, right?


So, there you have it.  Challenge completed!  It was kind of fun to go in and just look.  Most of the time I am looking for certain things, so it was nice to just browse and buy things that just caught my eye.  Some of things are probably going to get attacked with spray paint.  Who knows, maybe I'll actually update this blog with the final results......







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......