Skip to main content

If I Could Escape....(And Recreate A Place As My Own World)

(bonus points to anyone who knows that song title 😂)


Ever since I can remember I have enjoyed reading.  I do not have some grand illusions of my parents reading to me every night before bed.  I know I had lots of books as a child and I know my mom read often and we had piles of books around the house.  I know as I got older, I would anxiously await the release of the newest Baby-Sitters Club book and beg my mom to take me to the mall so I could purchase it.  She rarely turned me down, if ever, because I think she was thrilled I enjoyed reading so very much.

I would take that new book and head to my room.  I would rarely emerge until I had finished reading it.  I have always been a fast reader and if the book is good, I will not put it down until I have finished it.  I have zero self control when it comes to reading.  I do not hear things or get hungry or have to pee when I am reading.  I can do this for hours.  No lie.

You can see how as a child this was not really an issue.  Mom knew I was holed up with a book and that was fine.  As I got older, and especially once I had kids, this was slightly troublesome.  You can not tell a four year old and newborn you will get back to them in a few hours once you finish up this book.  I worked out deals with myself when the kids were younger.  I would allow myself to read X amount of chapters of a book once I had kept the kids alive for the day.  It was my version of a sticker chart (this is something I still employ today in life.  I am a child.  I need motivation to do some tasks and I will reward myself for them.  Don't judge me.  You don't know my life.)

As time has gone on, now with school and work full time, my opportunities to read for fun are less.  Reading textbooks does not count.  Many times lately, as Dad is subjecting me to yet another movie he thinks is awesome or something on the History channel that is bizarre,  he will look over at me while I have the most puzzled look on my face (I can't fix my face guys.  It's an issue.), and laugh.  As I am taking in yet another episode of Forged in Fire or Alaskan Bush People (y'all, I am fairly confident I could make a sword which would come in handy as I live off grid in Alaska.  I know way too much.)  He will say, "This is why your mother read so much.  I would turn on one of these shows, she'd roll her eyes and open up a book."  So I guess I get it from my mom.

My typical leisure  reading has been chick lit.  It's the worst.  But any chick flick that was originally a book?  I likely read it.  Then I watched the movie and got angry.  They always change things for what seems like no good reason and it has never made sense to me.  Lately, my leisure reading has been directed toward comedians who have written books about their lives.  It is probably the closest to nonfiction you will find me.  I get enough doses of reality, thank you very much.  I do not need to read about it.

The last few books have been written specifically by female comediennes.  They have been excellent reads and true to myself, I have read  through them in a matter of days (or one day).  I hold onto these precious escapes until I have a break and know I can get away with spending hours in pajamas, messy hair and a book.  I am happy to report that since June I am fairly certain I have plowed through about a half dozen books.

I just raced through Anna Kendrick's book, Scrappy Little Nobody.  When I purchased the book at the book store, yes I still love the feel of a book in my hands but am not opposed to e-reading, the guy checking me out commented that it was an excellent book.  Once I got over the fact that a guy liked a book written by a mouthy female, I replied that was good because I just needed a brain break, something humorous and mindless.  He responded back with, "It is a great palate cleanser."  I will now use this when referring to books of this nature.  It's perfect.  He then told me Ellie Kemper's book is much the same.  Noted.

I made my way home with my new treasure and no plans for at least 12+ hours.  Plenty of time to finish this book.  I read into the night, finally took myself to bed and awoke to only be able to think of finishing the book.  I am just as convinced as ever that Anna and I could be besties.  When a mere few pages into the book she described herself as small and loud, I was like wow.  Someone who knows my world.

Reading resets me,  It takes me to places I may never have gone if I hadn't picked up that book. I am going to leave you with some quotes from the last few books I have read.  Here is what I have learned about reading books by female comediennes:  you will get more truth, more raw honesty, and more self help from these books than any other book you will read.  You will feel less alone in your feelings and your weirdness.  Unless you aren't weird, then you'll just feel validated in your normal ass life.

Amy Poehler

~  Our parents surround use with origin stories that create deep groves in the vinyl records of our lives.
~  Ambivalence is key.  You have to care about your work but not about the result.  You have to care about how good you are and how good you feel, but not about how good people think you are or how good people think you look.
~  Change is the only constant.  Our ability to navigate and tolerate change and its painful uncomfortableness directly correlates to your happiness and general well being.  If you can surf your life rather than plant your feet, you will be happier.
~  You can travel back and forth by living in the moment and paying attention.  Time can be your bitch if you just let go of the "next" and the "before".  People help you time travel.  People work around you and next to you and the universe waits for the perfect time to whisper in your ear, "Look this way."
~  The only way we will survive is by being kind.  The only way we can get by in this world is through the help we receive from others.  No one can do it alone, no matter how great the machines are.
~  Most people want to be met where they are.  Loved for who they are.  And accepted for what they are.  Only once they feel that can they then feel safe and secure enough to grow.

Also, I still think these need to be framed.









Mindy Kaling (I read her second book on my iPad.  I'm just posting those screenshots.)








Anna Kendrick

~  Sure it will be hard, but all you need to be a writer is perseverance, a low-level alcohol problem, and a questionable moral compass.  (this has given me confidence I do not need to be a write.  😂 I got that shit handled)
~  Scrupulous people don't enjoy causing trouble, but they can be defiant as hell.
~  That night I resolved to keep the crazy inside my head where it belonged.  Forever.  But here's the thing about crazy:  It. Wants. Out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......