Skip to main content

For They Know Not What They Do

Mark sent me a link today to a sermon by Pastor Alan Shelby. Alan leads the Career Class at KCBT and right now since we are doing Financial Peace University, we are not in a Sunday school class. Mark has always enjoyed Alan's preaching. For me it is a bit rougher because he uses a lot of big words. But he is an intelligent man and if you listen with an open heart, you will get what he is saying.

I follow the link. It is the sermon from 2/25/2007 Defeating the Enemy Called Average: Message Three: Above Average Childrearing. I gear up. Not only is this Pastor Alan Shelby's teaching but it is on raising kids. Double whammy for me. I find that there are notes available. I can print them off (and after a few weeks of not getting my printer to work for me, today it did. Funny how that works.....) and follow along and fill in the blanks. I print the sheets and click to listen.

I have to pause a few times to tackle the kids, but I listen and follow along, jotting extra notes in the side margin or along the bottom of the page. It makes perfect sense and what I walked away with was something even more astounding than just how to better raise our kids.

Near the end Pastor Shelby is finishing up the message with a story. The gist of the story is that a lot of times people know not what they do. And Jesus said those very words at Calvary.

Luke 23:33-34
And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

It made me stop and think. Jesus forgave the people who crucified Him. He asked The Lord to forgive them. This was a Godman who was perfect. Yes He forgave them all. Wow. It makes the things I need to forgive people of seem so small in comparison. So small.

Father, forgive them and me, for we know not what we do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

Two Weeks Unitl Eviction

I was thinking today of taking that 37 week picture. And as I thought about it, I thought, "I will wait for a day when I look good." To which I had to laugh. If I did that it would never get taken. I am no longer able to drive. At the request of many family members, Mark being the ring leader, it has been noted that I should no longer drive. I did not discuss this with my doctor and it is not by her orders. However, once you no longer fit into your car, it is probably best to cease driving. To be honest it pisses me off. But, between the largeness of my belly and the shortness of my legs.....it is no longer possible. Simply put, the steering wheel is up as far as it will go and the seat is moved back as far as I can move it and still reach the pedals. The steering wheel now rests ON my belly and my legs are cramping from having to stretch to reach the pedals. Mark is probably right. It is no longer safe. And I hate it when he is right. So we are homebound during