Skip to main content

Memories

When I was, well younger, my parents used to take us for drives on Sunday afternoon. Actually, since my sister and I are five years apart, once I was a teen it was just me. And yes, as a teenager I still went on the Sunday drives with my parents. I should also say this was in nice weather, spring, summer, and fall.

Dad would drive us out to the lake to look for critters. We would rive the winding roads looking for deer. Then after that, he would rive us to the neighborhood I now live in so mom could look at all the old houses. The drive would end with a stop at Dairy Queen for ice cream. The same one that is two blocks from my home now.

I remember these drives and always have. When Mark and I first looked at this house, I remembered all the drives along this very street. I thought how interesting it was that we were buying this house. One that I probably drove past countless times growing up.

I was reminded today of these drives. The kids and I were coming back from stopping by my parent's house after some time at the park. We decided to check out the progress on the pool up the street. Then Emma wanted to see if another park she used to go to with her Nana was still there. Due to construction we had to detour some and wound up doing a little scenic driving. It is a nice spring day and I remembered all the drives I took with my parents all those years ago.

It is funny all these years later that the drives are one of the things I remember the most. I am not sure what it was about those drives. I know I complained about them then. Now those times are some of the fondest memories I have.

Comments

Judy said…
Oh, Abby, we used to do the exact same thing! Maybe it's a Midwestern/Missouri thing, huh?

We would go on a "Sunday drive," that was sometimes just out through "the country" (funny considering I grew up in a place most people consider rural) or would occasionally stretch out to an all-day affair to the Lake, or even once to Hannibal!!!

And on those short, local trips, we almost always ended up at the Dairy Queen, where I would get a chocolate dipped cone, or we would go to DQ first and then go for a drive through the State Park!

Those are some of my best memories. Not quite as doable now with $3.50/gallon gas, but sometimes, right?

One of the last things my dad wanted to do before he passed away was take a nice drive through the country. I'm not sure if he was able to, as he was barely able to walk and I'm not sure my mom could get him into the car, and I'm not going to ask my mom if they did it - I think I would be too sad if I knew he couldn't do it.

How I miss those drives, especially with him. You have me almost bawling right now. Darn you! (Kidding. But good for you sharing those memories with your little ones.)

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......