Skip to main content

Just Doin' What I Do

Most days I have no idea what that is. Or for that matter why I do any of the things I do. It seems odd to me that some may see something I do as more work or a bit out there, when well, it just makes sense to me.

I stay at home. Always have (since Emmaline was born over 8 years ago.) I will in all likelihood always be at home. I honestly do not ever see myself working outside of the home again. At this rate, IF we have one more child, I will have four kids spaced about four years apart. Even if Xander is the last, I could easily be raising a teenager and be a Grandma. (Though Emma says she is not having kids. She wants to work for the ASPCA and kids and a job do not mix to her.) For a lot of people this is odd. Never working again? Nope.

I have breastfed two kids now. Davis nursed for 11 months. Xander is still going strong at just over six months. I am leaning to child led weaning this time. Which could mean nursing to the age of two or beyond. Yes, to most this makes me a freak. Ask me if I care?

I do not circumcise. This is something I have never posted about before. The reason why is because I am very passionate about this issue and get very worked up over it. Both my boys are intact and a future boy would be left alone as well. With Davis Mark was basically, "Whatever you say honey." With Xander he stood outside while a circumcision took place (waiting to be let into the OR for the c-section) and after that he looked at me and said, "I am glad we do not do that. It is just wrong." Unusual for Mark to speak up like that. And this is all I will say on this issue.

I cloth diaper. Any future kids will use cloth as well. LOVE it. Easy and fun and good for the environment. Even Emma knows how to change cloth. Awesome. Oh and we use cloth wipes too. Yes, I am THAT mom.

I am making Xander's food. Rice cereal turned out to be a challenge but I got it done. It is just not that big of a deal to make it.

Joined the local CSA. Awesome. We got our first bags this weekend. Fresh farm eggs and a free range whole chicken were too of the yummy items we received this week. Not only are we getting fresh food but we are supporting local farms as well. Win-win.

Homeschool. Not a lot to say there. It is work but Emma is really good at doing things and a lot of it comes easy for her. Unfortunately this means that I am going to have to put more work into next year's curriculum. What is the point in homeschooling if we follow a set course put together by some school? Yea, not working so well for us anymore. Which means I am going to have to do more research and what not to get things together for next year. Of course, I tend to lean more to unschooling than anything.

It is funny because a lot of people see all those things together and think, "Freak." Which I am okay with. One or two of them? No big deal. But all of them together? Odd. At least for around these parts. The thing is, now it is habit to be that way. I can not get plastic bags at the store anymore. If I forget one of mine (which is unlikely seeing as to how I think I own 15 or so of them from 3-4 different places), I just buy a new one. Better to pay $1 for a reusable bag than get a plastic one. Though I have not forgotten them in some time. I will use a disposable every once and a while. But we have only bought diapers once since Xander was born. I have an entire package of them still as they were bought at Sam's Club in bulk. I think I will have to give those away as they are too small for him now.

All of it just makes sense and after time becomes the norm. Besides, look at these kids. Lovely. Makes it all worth it.

DSCF1200

DSCF1202

DSCF1172

DSCF1199

Comments

Anonymous said…
Abby, you crack me up. And yes you are a freak...but I'm not sure you would be MY aunt if you weren't :) Anyway, love you guys!

~ Mimi
HAPTeach said…
You have always been an inspiration to me! Keep doing what you do and you are making the lives of your children better and being a great role model for others! I applaud you and hoping to do some of the things you are in the future...even the homeschooling :) Plus I think you are right regarding the homeschool curriculum. Teachers at schools only use the textbooks, etc as resources but add a lot of extra things to make knowledge better!
Jess said…
Which CSA are you using? I've read about one in Kearney, but maybe you're using one closer...

-Rach
Jess said…
I don't know why it links me as Jesse... Not savvy enough to figure this stuff out. :-) Rach

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......