Skip to main content

Lucky #7's

My family has a reunion. Every year. For a week.

Last week was the scheduled time for said family time. I threw my kids in the car along with a few belongings, only half of my swim suit, and off we went. A little under five hours later we arrived at our new site for the Seventh Annual Reunion.

I usually get odd looks when I say we do this. For a week....every year. It is okay, I know people are just jealous. How many people know, actually know their extended family? My kids have so many grandma's, grandpa's, aunts, uncles and cousins. We do not bother with breaking it down by actually being second cousins twice removed or whatever. They are all just cousins. As a result of the yearly get together, and yes this was the seventh year in a row we have done this, my kids have an additional nine cousins (my cousins kids). They have an additional seven aunts and uncles (my cousins). An additional three grandparents (my aunts and uncle). And they know their great grandparents. In such a way that Davis will lay down and nap with his uncle Ken. And Emma with go with Grandma Janette on a nature hunt. These people are family to my kids in way most of us never get the opportunity to experience.

This year was no exception on family time and fun. I waddled my way around. My kids ran themselves silly. We continued to grow the bond that began seven years ago. Is Aunt Mimi the same as Aunt Kiki to my kids? Of course not. They know that Kiki is a special kind of aunt (my sister as compared to my cousin) but they have a relationship with Aunt Mimi too. One that grows with each year that we continue with this tradition. Something that my grandfather wanted his grandchildren and great grandchildren to have. Something that you can not put a price tag on.

As I grow older, I appreciate this blessing more and more. I see how important it is and how much it means to everyone, not just Grandpa, to see the family together and knowing one another in such a way.

And besides, life just would not be full if you did not get the opportunity to shower with a frog for five days.

Looking forward to next year's reunion. Crazy 8's I hear......

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahh, such a nice blog entry. It truly was a year when we were so busy & things kept getting screwed up(Grandpa had a heart attack, we got charged big time for a reservation we did not make) that I thought - aw we can take it or leave it. Until that Sunday when I was talking to Kimberly and Aunt Carole and everybody was trying to figure out someway/somewhere/somehow for us all to get together. I thought WOW! they are really committed to doing this and those are the kind of people that you want to be around & are proud to be a part of. 7 years of watching the kids grow and change, late night talking/drinking,days spent swimming,pinata parties and I too can not wait for next year. Crazy 8's it is. Feeling the love - Kiki

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......