Skip to main content

Thought For The Day

I wonder.....

Why do songs evoke emotions in us? Why do we remember song lyrics so easily yet can not recall a history fact? What causes songs to bring up a memory in a second?

I love music. Always have. I remember lyrics to songs from the 80's. I remember nothing else. But a song? Can put me right back to that time and place. With the people and the feelings.

I wonder what it is that does that to us. I am sure there is some scientific reason. Some study. Some research.

I spent many nights listening to music as a teen. It was some sort of relief. If I hear one of those songs today, I can immediately go back to that awkward 13 year old again. I remember songs from being a small child (Free To Be anyone? Rainbow Connection?) I remember songs I sang with my girlfriends (Doin' The Butt, Mambo #5). I remember the last song played at my Senior Prom. But it is not the songs. It is the ability of those songs to bring back the emotions of the time in a sweeping flood.

The power of music.....

Comments

Shannon said…
Have you ever been driving, perfectly content with the world, and then a song comes on the radio and does this to you and next thing you know you're crying like a baby?

I remember songs, too. Sometimes it's a curse. Like when "Ice, Ice, Baby" comes on and I still know all the lyrics. It really iritates my husband. He can't remember song lyrics AT ALL.
Abby said…
Yes ma'am.

Mark does remember song lyrics too. only we have different taste. So I end up singing something and he looks at me like I have three heads....

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......