Skip to main content

A Year in the Making

This is a story that began about  a year ago.  What has prompted me to write it? I took  a tumble down the stairs, breaking my ankle essentially five times.  This has left me laid up in bed for the better part of the day.  This is a story that will span a variety of topics, emotions, truth, hard work, heartache, lessons, spiritual musing, friends, and family.  I plan to keep it all as real as possible.  In the process you will see a move and a renovation of a new home.  You will see the loss of a pet.  You will see the addition of new family, both by blood and by God.  You will see a spiritual walk that has seen more highs and more lows than I have ever experienced in my life happen in one year.  You will see life being lived, trying to follow God.  You will see the good.  You will see the bad.  And you might see some of the ugly.  So life goes.

We will begin at about a year ago when Mark first mentioned moving.  Feeling moved by God to move from the suburbs where we had a home for fourteen years, to the city.  Kansas City is not a huge city.  But the differences between our suburb of Lee's Summit and Midtown were vast.  The schooling looked starkly different.  To give you a picture:  Lee's Summit is 86% white.  Kansas City is 59% white.  To be honest, I was a bit over the whiteness of where we lived.  And over the almost entitlement that came along with it.  God begin opening my eyes to this and I began to get half way on board with  the move.

In November we met with a few Realtors and chose the one we felt most comfortable with selling our old Lee's Summit home.  We took all her advice and by January we had our listing up.  Then began the real fun.


We endured six months on the market, Or 151 days.  75 showings.  Three offers.  It was exhausting.


After all of that, the day came.  We had a new house with a  ton of work, and three times the size of the old house waiting for us.  Someone new coming to take possession of the Lee's Summit home. After fifteen years and  four babies, we were moving on. We packed our last few things, wiped a few tears from our eyes, and drove away from Douglas for the last time.


And  then began the hard part.  The moving.  The finding schools.  The unpacking.  The renovating.  And the renovating.  Did I mention the renovating?





It has not been an easy road to get here.  The bumps along the way have left scars.  Both physical and emotional.  I don't know what may come out of my head and heart as I try to blog about all of this.  I tend to view life in photographs.  I may not make any sense at times.  I may abandon this all together in a few days or weeks.  If I have learned anything on this journey it is that life some times throws you for loops you never saw coming.   It is best to try and ride those, hold on tight, and be thankful you have some people willing to take the ride with you.




Comments

Lisa Williams said…
So excited that you are back to blogging!
Abby said…
Thanks Lisa! I don't know how long I will be at it....

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......