Skip to main content

How Is Life Measured?

Last week I met with a very good friend (given me a lot to think about didn't you?) As we sat discussing life and all the good, bad and ugly it entails she asked me a very poignant question. Which do you enjoy more: tangible things or memories made?

No one had ever posed this question to me before. I know one of my top love languages is gifts so I assumed it would be tangibles. I do enjoy the gifts I have gotten over the years. Mark is an excellent gift giver with excellent taste. He also takes it one step further was well. One year he got me a new diamond anniversary band in white gold. He put it inside the York Peppermint patties that he stuffed into my stocking. I doubt I will ever forget the thought of him doing it that way. Another year he got me a Tiffany (told you he had good taste) bracelet. The sterling silver one with the heart dangling on it. He knew I wanted it, but he took the extra step of having my initials engraved on it. Another year I asked for a new watch and the man choose a Movado watch. He got it in silver, a dainty little watch. The face is pink. He could have chosen other colors but knew how much I enjoy the color pink. So yes I have gotten some awesome gifts over the years.

But we often take mini trips to celebrate occasions. Or go out to a very nice dinner instead of "gifts". It is the gift of time together and the memories made from that time that I cherish more than the things given to me. We have spent anniversaries in Hermann and Chicago. And a birthday as well was spent in Hermann. We have taken a long weekend to St. Louis. Many occasions have been celebrated with an expensive dinner out at various eateries. We have lots of memories from these times alone together.

As I began to talk about these things with my friend, she stopped me and said, "See you are a memories person." I had never seen it that way. Maybe having the kids changed it. Maybe it is age. Maybe God did. I am not sure. But when asked lately, "Would you rather have a new piece of jewelry or go out to a nice dinner or mini vacation away?" I seem to answer with the latter. I want the time and the memories. The gifts are nice and I appreciate them very much. The ones from Mark mean a great deal to me. But when it is all said and done, what I can take with me? The memories of time shared together. Taking the train to Hermann. Walking hand in hand along the Plaza. Going to the Cardinals game. Of course the big ones, the day we committed our lives to each other and the days our kids were born. Those are the things that I will carry with me to the day I die. And those are things that bring a smile to my face.

There is a saying, most recently it was in the movie Hitch, that says, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

We should all have so many of those moments that we begin to lose count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

Two Weeks Unitl Eviction

I was thinking today of taking that 37 week picture. And as I thought about it, I thought, "I will wait for a day when I look good." To which I had to laugh. If I did that it would never get taken. I am no longer able to drive. At the request of many family members, Mark being the ring leader, it has been noted that I should no longer drive. I did not discuss this with my doctor and it is not by her orders. However, once you no longer fit into your car, it is probably best to cease driving. To be honest it pisses me off. But, between the largeness of my belly and the shortness of my legs.....it is no longer possible. Simply put, the steering wheel is up as far as it will go and the seat is moved back as far as I can move it and still reach the pedals. The steering wheel now rests ON my belly and my legs are cramping from having to stretch to reach the pedals. Mark is probably right. It is no longer safe. And I hate it when he is right. So we are homebound during