Skip to main content

Swirling

The thoughts in my mind. This is what they do. Swirl.

I realized today that my niece is at "that age". The age that started making my life so very difficult. That cusp. That Britteny Spears song. Not a girl. Not yet a woman.

I wonder if she is struggling with all of it like I did. I wonder if she questions herself at every turn. I wonder if she lacks the ability at times to make a decision. I wonder if that is only something that I dealt with.

I wonder if she is like her mother. Who never seemed to have this internal struggle. My sister always seemed to know who she was. Never seemed to second guess herself and always knew which way to go. She never showed any sign of being unsure. I hope my niece is like her mother.

I spent far too many moments wondering. I was a day dreaming child and if I had to guess I would say that I dreamed 50% of my life away at that time. I think I might have been my own worst critic. My biggest enemy was myself.

I have never figured out why. I would like to blame my parents because I think that is what you are supposed to do. If only my mom (or dad) _________, I would not have been that way. But I can't do that.

I spent those tumultuous teen years trying to figure out who I was. Or maybe trying to be someone I was not. It was hard. And frustrating. Quite frankly, it sucked.

I see my gorgeous niece and I pray with all my soul that she does not do this. I see my other gorgeous niece and pray with all my soul that she does not do this. They are both on that cusp. That fragile time in life. The time when adults will tell you that you are too young and it does not matter but you know it does. And the adults are wrong. It does matter. It matters right then and right there. You feel so much. Feelings always matter.

I would not go back and do it all again. It was that hard for me. I know lots of people say that those years are the best time of your life. I fell into some other category. Because those years were the loneliest, hardest, most painful years of my life. I wish it had not meant so much to me then. I do look back now and I want to tell that young lady that she is okay as she is. That she is will be fine and that life will be wonderful. I want to reassure her and hug her.

Instead, I will do what I can to make sure my nieces (and one day my own daughter) know that who they are is fabulous. And to not ever let anyone tell them otherwise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay I am tired and I have paint all over me (finally doing the half bath off the kitchen!!) and it is actually 2:30 am...and you made me tear up. I must really be like Mom; I mask myself well. I do kinda sorta in a way struggle with who and what I am; but never was unsure or unhappy with it. More like trying to make sure that what/who I am right now is the best me that I can be. Sometimes it falls short by my standards and sometimes I flat out rock. It is what it is when it is. ; ) And you are so dead on when you say you feel so much at that age and it does matter; used to piss me off so much when Mom would poo poo those teenage feelings. Sorry for rambling...too much paint. Love you guys - Kiki ps we do need to hook up soon...missing the kiddos
HAPTeach said…
In a weird way it is good that you still remember those feelings, because you will understand and help your daughter (and sons) out so much as they get older. I truly feel that all kids go through this and it unfortunately transfers into adulthood. Only yesterday was I thinking about how crazy it is that I feel like a teenager again with my feelings. If we as parents and role models can help kids to realize that they are amazing just like they are, we can help to turn it around. Go Abby :)
Anonymous said…
You're right, in hoping that I am more like my mother, for I am. In a lot of ways. I've learned that the ones that love you exactly how you are, are the ones that love you most; and you probably don't need those other ones anyway. And I second guess myself...I just usually go with that first thought though...it's usually the second that gets me in trouble. But that's one of those things that I personally think we have to learn and realize on our own. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks Abby, and I love you.

- Madison

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......