Skip to main content

Sometimes There Are No Words

Last night I met a new friend. Let me preface this by saying I have made exactly ONE new friend in the last ten years. This makes number two.

My Babycenter and Blogging friend Amanda, was having a conference in KC. We made plans to meet up. I felt a bit odd. Here I was making plans to meet someone I only knew from the Net. But Mark thought it was perfectly great and even said for me to stay out as long as I wanted. He said it was not as if I was meeting up with someone I saw often. Stay out and talk and have fun. So I did.

I made plans to meet with Amanda. I knew we had a lot in common. Both from the board and from reading her blog. I knew she was someone who if she lived closer to me we could hang out. But I was a bit apprehensive. Here was someone who only knew me through the computer. So many what if's, right? Mark was actually the one who said I should meet with her, if only for a little while.

So, I picked Amanda up at her hotel and off we went to Fooleries. Great place to have a sandwich and some drinks. Amanda is even cooler in person. We sat and talked and drank for about five hours. Someone from the net. I have "known" her for about three years but this was our first meeting in person. And now I am sad. Why? Because sure enough, we (at least I did) had such a great time. I am left with getting to know someone on a new level but that someone lives really far away. Let me say it would take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to meet Amanda for drinks if I had to drive from my house to hers.

I know some of you are thinking.....she met someone in real life from the NET?!?! YES. And it was totally awesome. I am left feeling as if someone I would like to see on a weekly basis has moved away. I want to know where the Amanda's are where I live.

So sometimes in life there are no words. This is one of those times. I can not describe it. It is nothing I have ever done, only knowing someone through the computer and then meeting them one on one, face to face. It is something that I can not find the words for. Someone I have know for three years but just now got to meet in person. And someone now who I am sad lives so very far away. I know that we would be getting together often. Even if for a game of Trivial Pursuit and some wine. It is one of those things where you know you have made a connection, a connection that is hard to find it seems. And one that when you find it, you do not want to lose it.

Amanda, meeting you was awesome. The only bad part was like you said, now there is someone real to miss. I hope you have a safe flight. And I am going to work on a trip out your way. I honestly feel like not knowing when or if I will see you again makes me feel very sad. It is something that there are no words for.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you had a nice time!

The first person I met from the net was in 1997. Since then I've probably met a dozen people--more if you count larger group events a travel forum I used to frequent held.

I've met several women in the past couple of years from my bb. One is a dear friend who is local, and the others were all really nice. I'm a little less outgoing offline though and I think that sometimes throws people. I think a few of the women from my bb had the idea that I was really outrageous and then found me to be a bit boring. lol But like I said, all really nice, smart normal women. Not a crazy freak among them.
Amanda. said…
Right back at you, Abby.

I had blast... so much so that I have been nursing a serious hangover since I got back from KC (large quantity of alcohol + 4 hours of sleep + 4 hours in an airplane + season changing= one sick me) and unable to make a post worthy of describing KC and our meeting.

Hope you can make it to South Carolina soon...
Abby said…
Oh Amanda....I am such a bad influence. I should have warned you...

My husband even asked if we were going to have to go to SC soon now! LOL. I told him there is lots of good golf.

Man I wished you lived closer....there are lots of places I could take you for good food and drinks and NO KIDS!

It was a blast. I too came down with the sickies. but mine are only seaonally related. I can drink like that all the time..... (;

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......