Skip to main content

Adios Chicago

P1010111

I spent the weekend in Chicago. My husband is there for work and he had the weekend sort of free, so I went up. We ate Chicago dogs and Chicago pizza at Giordano's. We had fabulous Italian food (Rosebud's on Rush). We ate more meat than any one human should ever consume in one meal at Fogo de Chao. We walked the Magnificent Mile and went to The Field Museum. I spent Saturday at Millennium Park (the picture above is of the Bean in the park.) I spent most of Saturday at The Art Institute. Beautiful museum.

P1010126

They had some great photography displays and I spent over four hours walking around that place and still did not see all of it.

Sunday night it was time for me to leave and come back to my kids. It was hard to leave Mark all alone there. I discovered this weekend that I do not like for my family to be split up. I thought I would go and enjoy seeing the city and experiencing something that I usually do not. Not only did I do that, but I came back with a new sense of life. It amazes me how a few days away can change so much in your soul. I like to take care of my family and I can not do so when part of them are in Chicago and part of them are in Kansas City. It broke me to leave the kids for the weekend and then it broke me to leave my husband in Chicago for three more days.

I say thank you to Chicago. A beautiful city with so much to offer. I say thank you to my family who helped in so many ways to make this weekend possible. All of them contributed in some way to either take care of the kids (Nana, Tia, Nan, Pa, Kiki, Patrick and kids) or take care of the dogs (Adam and Aaron) or fetch me from the airport so very late last night (Tia and Tio). I thank Mark for flying me up, cashing in his points for the ticket, eating some great food with me, walking around, riding the train with me to the airport so we could steal just a little more time together. I thank Mark for being who he is. For letting me be who I am and loving me with all is heart and soul. I thank God for making all of the above possible. Thank you God for writing such a beautiful chapter this weekend. For it is Him that has the pen and is writing the story.

P1010104

Comments

karrie said…
Sounds like a great weekend! We stayed one night just outside Chicago when Max was a few months old. We were driving x-country, and my husband wanted to visit the Baha'i temple there. I could tell just from driving through that it is a city I want to visit again.
Abby said…
Coming from KC, a small city, Chicago seems to have so much more. We have gone twice for a weekend each time and have not seen all we would like. It would be great to take kids but I think we have deemed it "our" city. A place to go to get away from the kids! LOL.
Judy said…
We were all in Chicago about this time last year, for a wedding. We didn't get to spend as much time as we'd have liked, but we all really enjoyed it, and definitely want to go back. Guthrie had his first train ride ever, which left a lasting impression on him about the merits of Chicago!

I'm fantasizing about a weekend without the kids someday!

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......