Skip to main content

It's Not What You Think

A while back I posted lyrics to a song by Ayiesha Woods entitled Big Enough. She is a Christian artist. I also had the kids outside the other day in the backyard and we had Calvary 88.5 on the radio, the local Christian station.

My point? I think when people hear Christian music they think church gospel hymns. It may have been that way once upon a time. What Christian music is today? No where near it.....

Now sure there is still easy listening music that is Christian. But there is easy listening music. If you listen to pop, rock, rap, you name it, there is a Christian artist that sounds much like any of the main stream artists out there.

Now, I listen to all sorts of music. But if you happened to be walking by my house that day and heard my music my guess is that you would not have known it was Christian music coming out of the radio.

Here is Ayeisha Woods' web site. You can listen to her CD on the site. Aside from the occasional mention of Jesus or God, her music is not "churchy". Take a listen.

Here is Brandon Heath. Reminds me a bit of good ol' Ben Folds in sound. Plays acoustic in concert too. Here are the lyrics to I'm Not Who I Was. Not churchy to me.

I wish you could see me now
I wish I could show you how
I’m not who I was
I used to be mad at you
A little on the hurt side too
But I’m not who I was
I found my way around
To forgiving you
Some time ago
But I never got to tell you so
I found us in a photograph
I saw me and I had to laugh
You know, I’m not who I was
You were there, you were right above me
And I wonder if you ever loved me
Just for who I was
When the pain came back again
Like a bitter friend
It was all that I could do
To keep myself from blaming you
I reckon it’s a funny thing
I figured out I can sing
Now I’m not who I was
I write about love and such
Maybe ’cause I want it so much
I’m not who I was
I was thinking maybe I
I should let you know
I am not the same
But I never did forget your name
Hello
Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that’s what love is all about
I wish you could see me now
I wish I could show you how
I’m not who I was

Sometimes what you think something is, it turns out not to be.

Comments

Lisa Williams said…
Great Blog today! This is my first comment. I agree about the music. I have Satellite Radio in my car and we ALWAYS listen to "The Message." It's "Christian Pop, Rock & Praise." If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out. There's actually a re-mix of How Great Thou Art I heard not too long ago that is totally a pop song. Very cool. (not sure who the artist was)
Abby said…
We do not have sattelite radio. It costs every month or something. I am not in the car enough. Thank goodness. I hate the car.

I just turn on Calvary 88.5. Usually get a good mix there. Or people tell me what is up. Like Mark, the music freak.
Lisa Williams said…
I'm hoping to get a group of people together to go to the "rock the light" tour at starlight in August. Chris Tomlin is suppose to be there and Barlow Girls, and a bunch of others. Have you checked it out?

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......