Skip to main content

She Doesn't Get It From Me

Emmaline is a Science and Math lover. As a home schooling parent, you learn about your kids in a different way. You figure out HOW they learn and you get to see first hand what lights their fire. Emma from the beginning showed very little interest in reading and writing. Much to my dismay. Once she learned to read, I thought she would love it. Not really. She did figure out that she can read all sorts of things, not just her school text though and that did ignite a bit of a spark. But nothing comes close to her love of Science and Math.

I should not be surprised by this. Emma has always be an inquisitive child and prefers a real, straight answer. Much of reading and writing is left to interpretation. But Science and Math have finite answers.

For first grade, there is only a small amount of Science. However, Emma watches Zoom on PBS. A couple of weeks ago she learned how fingerprints are all different and conducted an experiment that involved pencil all over a sheet of paper in which we had to rub our fingers on it, she took our print and covered it with tape and then decided if it was loopy, hilly, or circles. We all participated, even Davis, and Emma had conducted her first Science experiment.

Yesterday the child came to me asking for a large bowl, water, salt, a glass, plastic wrap, rock, and tape. She had seen another experiment on Zoom and was going to try it. While she had the process right, we had no sun in which to sit the experiment and it did not work. This morning I got on the net and printed off the directions and we set the experiment up again. Right now Emma's still in sitting out on the table, in the sun, hoping to collect water into the cup.

My child, is wanting to do Science experiments, not sit and practice her handwriting. I am not sure whose child this is but she is not mine. My child would want to day dream all day and make up stories and practice her handwriting so it looked pretty. Not Emma. Apparently that stuff is for the birds and Science and Math with it's only one answer are the way to go.

I can see home schooling is going to be challenging for me in whole new way. Talk about not pushing your likes on your kid. All I want to do is read and make nice letters. All she wants to do learn why things happen and how to do all sorts of Math problems. I guess we balance each other that way. I can make sure she gets her reading and writing done and I can finally learn about Science and Math.

I can say though that THIS is exactly why I home school. Emma is leading the way. She is doing hands on learning. The Science stuff it not in our "curriculum" but we can do it anyway. We have the freedom to do that. She is showing me how she likes to learn and how she best learns and we can do that for her. I like that she is taking the lead and teaching herself and doing what she likes while learning at the same time.

There have been many times in doing this that I have seriously wondered what I was thinking. The last few days have shown me that we are doing what is right for Emma. The way she is growing and learning fit for her and she is blossoming as a result.

Comments

alimum said…
Get her a subscription to Discover Magazine.

I am going to go look through my bookshelf for math/science oriented books and see if any are age appropriate (and by that I mean not so technical that she will grow bored).

It is really inspiring to hear that homeschooling is working well. I don't have the right temperment for it, but I envy those like you who do.
Judy said…
One of the things I'm really looking forward to about homeschooling is filling in a lot of the gaps in my own education. Although I do admit, as the time gets closer, I start getting a little scared. But the thought of sending them to the public schools is even scarier.

I know i had trouble with my step-daughter when we were trying to help her with math, and she just didn't get it at all, and I didn't know what to do. Math was always my strong suit, and it came so easily to Samantha as well. One of the boys is bound to give me difficulties somewhere, but one of the bonuses Eric and I have talked about is that our interests and abilities complement each other so well.

I need to do my own post on homeschooling some day, but I just have too much to say!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

Shameless Confession

I love to read. I have since I was little. I also have a bad habit of getting completely engrossed in what I am reading. Getting so wrapped up that I can not put the book down until I know what happens. I am still this way. I have no self control when it comes to reading. That is not the shameless part. What is shameless is what I like to read. Chick lit. There I said. I like to read the mindless dribble that is chick lit. Not romance novels. Just your run of the mill chick lit. Over the past couple of weeks I have reignited my love of reading. And I gave into the chick lit. What is it about this genre that does me in? I have found that I enjoy the books that involve being a mom as well. Which makes sense. It is relateable on that level in some way. I can not quite put my finger on the draw. The last three books I have read, I have been able to identify with the main characters in some way. Seeing as to how they were all moms. I also seem to like (this is even more