Skip to main content

Like Father, Like Daughter

When Emmaline was born it was obvious who she looked like. It took me some time to be okay with that. I mean, I was the one who carried her and gave birth to her. It was like a slap in the face that she looked just like her dad. But as she got older it became more and more apparent that she looked like her dad. Had I not been the one pregnant with her, I would question whether or not she was even mine. Just in case you do not believe me, here is a picture of the girl with her Papi.

(this picture is from Christmas 2005, it is hard to find pictures of Mark in general....)
P1010151

So, I gave up long ago realizing that Emmaline was just going to look a lot like her Papi. Now, she acted a lot like me. Her personality is a lot like mine. She is loud and she never shuts up. She does not stop ever and she is beyond sassy. A lot like her mama. However, her ability to memorize and learn comes also from her dad. This became even more apparent today during Day Two of school.

We have a Bible course. It is required and we are fine with that. Emma must memorize Scriptures. There is essentially one per week. Yesterday we started learning John 3:14. It is not a short verse. Not to mention we use the King James version of the Bible. I started out by breaking it down into three words at a time, having her repeat them back to me. We did this a few times and she repeated it back to me yesterday with a little help. This morning we go at it again. After ONE TIME of me repeating it to her, she asked if she could just do it on her own. I did do some motions to help her get going, but after that she pretty much had the verse down. I still do not know it.....

We also do poetry. It is not a long poem, but not short either. I did it once for Emma today with motions and then when I asked her to get up and do it with me, she asked if she could do it on her own. Alrighty. What does she need me for? Once she learns to read, she can read her own lessons and teach herself. Good grief.

I am now afraid that *I* will fall behind in first grade and by the end of the year Emma will have to teach me.

For the record, Davis also looks just like his dad. By the time I was pregnant with him, I had resigned myself to the fact that Mark somehow overrode all of my genes and all my kids would look like him. At least he can never question whether or not they are his. I know this photo is at an odd angle, but both Davis and his Papi had the same look.

cr7

So once again Mark has yet another Mini Me. Davis so far has displayed more of my personality. He seems to learn better from singing. He did however come home from church Sunday and as I was changing his diaper that night starting singing Fishers of Men. The entire song. And that was the first time I had ever heard him sing it. Maybe he too is just like his dad. He can learn and memorize in just one setting. Great.

Both of my kids are smarter than me already. They are only six and two. I think I might fail first grade. And both of them already have more Bible verses memorized than me. And I am supposed to be the teacher? Whose grand plan was this?

My kids teach me more every day. The most important thing they have taught me? How to love and be loved. They are the best at that. And I thank God everyday for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......