Skip to main content

Have Magazine, Will Read

Since I was a teenager, I have been a magazine junkie. At that age it was mostly Bop and Teen Beat. I had to get all my posters of New Kids on the Block somewhere. Not to mention all the latest gossip on them. It soon, turned to girl magazines. You know the ones. How to get a guy and the latest fashion trends. At that time it went from Teen to Seventeen, with a few other magazines like YM and even the occasional Teen Vogue for me. I often had subscriptions to many different magazines at a time and would often ask for them as gifts. Nothing like getting them delivered to your door every month.

Since I got married young, I only dabbled in Cosmo and Glamour for a brief moment. And even though from beginning dating to marriage was only eight short months, I did indeed devour bridal magazines as well. This was an awkward magazine time for me because the magazines for my age range were the Cosmo type yet I was married woman. I was not ready for the older woman magazines such as Good Housekeeping either. I guess it was the dry spell in my magazine addiction.

Soon enough though I was a mother and that opened a whole new category up for me. I quickly had subscriptions to Parents, Parenting, Child, American Baby, Baby Talk, you name it. I ate them all up. I continued to get those even though our kids ended up being four years apart because I knew I would once again have a baby.

Once again though life changed. My kids were getting bigger and the parenting magazines had less to offer me. It was time and I headed there. Ladies Home Journal, Redbook, and Good Housekeeping became my new reading.

I keep my magazines on some tables in our living room. They are two smaller tables sitting side by side to form a larger table. On the bottom shelf of one table I keep the kids magazines (I apparently signed up for life long subscriptions to these magazines because I am still getting them) and on the bottom of the other shelf I keep the woman magazines. As I cleaned the other day and was moving the magazines to wipe the tables down, I noticed something odd.

For the first time ever, my woman magazine pile was by far much larger than my kid magazine pile. And what was in that woman pile? Good Housekeeping, Redbook, and Ladies Home Journal.

Not so long ago I realized what this meant. I was at my mother's house and she had a current copy of one of the above mentioned magazines. She handed it to me and said I needed to read the article about mothers and daughters. I laughed and told her I had that magazine at home and not only that but a subscription as well. I knew I had truly gotten old when my mother looked at me and said, "You have a subscription to that magazine? It is for older women." Not only did I have the magazine but I liked it so much I got a subscription to it. It was in that moment that I thought....

Good Lord help me. I get the same magazines as my own mother.

Comments

D said…
Ack! There's an eye opener! ;) If it makes you feel any better, my grandmother keeps buying me subscriptions to quilting and bird watching magazines! Maybe someday when I retire to Florida they will be useful - but man, I hate having them around now. I want my Elle!
D
karrie said…
I'm also a shameless magazine addict. I will read anything, and so will my husband. We subscribe to an obscene amount. There was a thread on my bb awhile back and I was the worst offender by far.
Judy said…
I too love mags.

For a long time, since I never got to read a decent intelligent book or anything, I subscribed to Harper's, Atlantic, and those kind, so at least my bathroom reading was somewhat intelligent.

I've since decided no way. I don't have a TV, don't watch movies, and I need some pure escapism, so I've been getting my media escapism in the form of People, Vogue, and whatever else I come across.

Although I think we're keeping Harper's (worth it for the Index and Findings) and I still get Mothering.

Oh, yeah, and I love Playboy. Eric never even sees it - it goes in my bathroom. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......