Skip to main content

The Dash

I do not usually get too religious or political or anything of that nature here. But today I have to share some tidbits.

I grew up in a home where religion was not really practiced. We did not attend church or read a Bible. My mother was very open about her views and very supportive of whatever views I chose to take. My father, being a man born in the late 40's, was a fairly reserved man and did not discuss feeling much in general. The same was true for God. Not something we really discussed. The floor was open for us to form and find our own way in the land of God and religion.

I began to believe in the existence of God at an early age, around six or so. I would pray to Him on occasion. I attended various churches with various friends and family members. Nothing consistent and I do not even know that they were all the same religion. I just went. By the time I was in middle school (junior high) I had many friends who attended church regularly. I attended some lock in type things, as well as some youth and Sunday morning services. At some point I joined a church and starting attending Wednesday night youth group and Sunday morning services. I did this on my own.

Once high school rolled around I began to attend Young Life. I began to focus more on that as it seemed to be more inclusive. Not so much fire and brim stone as what had become my home church. I drifted away from the church and threw myself into Young Life. I continued attending all through out high school. By the time I graduated high school, I was no longer attending a church.

Once my college years hit, I abandoned all things God. I am not sure why that was. Being young and just wanting to do what I wanted to do. Having a bit of a rebellious streak. No matter why, I drifted away. I met my husband in my sophomore year of college, also the last year I would attend college. He was a member of Kansas City Baptist Temple. At this point church turned me off. I attended sporadically with my husband for about a year. Then we stopped going altogether.

In 2000 my daughter was born and I was once again reminded of God's existence. I started to feel the pull but did not know where to go. My husband's church had not felt like MY church. My in-law's attended there as well so it was truly a family church. On the one hand, I relished the idea of my family attending church every Sunday as a family, along with their extended family. It seemed as though it would give them such a feeling of belonging and reveal to them the greater significance of this world. On the other hand something in my human nature did not want to do this.

Soon God began to work on my heart. We attended church for Easter services in 2003. Soon after I found myself pregnant with our son. It was then that I realized that I was not only in charge of me but now two little people. When Davis was born In January of 2004, we had him dedicated to the church. That Spring I attended the new members class at KCBT and became on official member of the church. We attend almost every Sunday now and have even begun to attend a Sunday school class as well.

This week our church is having our annual conference. The Summit is mostly about how we are to take God to all people. It was last night, sitting in church, that I realized why I was able to feel so comfortable at this church finally. Our church does something. They do not just teach God. They teach you to GO. They send many people to various places all around the world to spread the Word. We have a daughter church in Egypt. Yes, we sent people out from our church who then basically built a church in Egypt. Simply amazing. We don't teach people to fear God. We teach people to share God. We teach people to not only live out what God has taught them but it take it to other people. We actively do so. We see a need to help get the Word of God translated into languages that have no Bible. Did you know that over 2600 languages exists in this world that do not even have access to a Bible as there is not one in existence in their mother tongue? My church makes me think. Not just about me, but about God's grand plan. It takes me outside of the box, And for that I can call it MY church and one I am proud to attend for it stand for something far more than I ever realized.

My wonderful sister-in-law works for the church. (For the record my in-laws are some fantastic people. I realize how lucky I am to have married into a family where I gained another mother, another sister, another aunt and uncle and three more cousins that are like my very own family.) She gathered some books and things for us that were a part of the conference materials. And just like the sweet woman she is, thought to get the one book signed for me by Steve Saint. The End of the Spear was made into a movie as well and Steve Saint is a brilliant speaker, as he spoke at the conference. I now am the owner of his book of the same name along with an inscription inside the front cover.

Also in the wonderful goodies we received, is a book about the 24/7 Prayer Movement. Fascinating idea and something that our young people are really into. David Blackwell also spoke this week and what he and the other 24/7 team are doing is nothing short of awesome. And suffice it to say it is amazing that Kansas City is one of the places that has an active Boiler Room that our students are using. Read about YOPP and what it is about and where the idea comes from.

I am in awe of the things God has done and continues to do. Not in my own life, but in the world all around me. When you hear of things such as the newest school shooting situation or any of the number of stories about the continuing war (too many to link just one), you tend to lose hope and sight of the larger picture. No, I do not know what it is. But I am certain that God has a much better, a much grander plan than I could ever dream up. And for a short while I will be a part of His mission here on Earth.

The Dash.....watch it. Now my question is: how will you spend your dash?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Go figure that I pick today to check on your blog process. Who are you kidding? You do not usually get too religious or too political...right, me either. ; )
See ya tomorrow night at Moms.
Abby said…
Oh scary anonymous.....too me a minute to figure out who you were! I guess maybe I should have said too preachy??? I try to be honest about my views and feelings, but try to not to be too pushy about it.....maybe I am not succeeding?

Just read the ones about the kids. The are not too thinky. Here, I do not get too invloved in religious thoughts and I do not think I have gone political at all. I will cover religious ground, you take the politics okay? See ya tonight.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......