Skip to main content

Happy Ten Years

It was actually ten years ago yesterday that my husband and I had our first date. I like to tell the story this way....

Mark and I were both servers at Applebee's. We spent most of the summer hating one another. He thought I was a stuck up bitch. I thought he was a pathetic loser. Sometime around August, we both started to change our opinions. Mark began asking me out every time he saw me. I never said no; I never said yes. We spent a few nights talking after work. We both were in Theater class in college. I had to go see a play and write a paper on it. I bought tickets to UMKC's production of The Misanthrope. I purchased two tickets. About two days before the show, I had not asked or found anyone to go with me. I simply told Mark he needed that Tuesday, September 10, off . He took the night off and picked me up at my house to go to the show. We ate at Houlihan's on the Plaza afterward for dinner. It was what I began calling our "unofficial, official first date."

Back then, I kept a journal. Before internet blogs, I had notebooks that I wrote in. After that first date, Mark started showing up at Applebee's when I was working. He started hanging out talking with me after work more often. In my journal dated September 24, 1996 I wrote, "We talk and hang out and he's really nice. But we disagree on some things. I'm not planning on marrying him, so I guess that doesn't really matter." Why did I write that? Because I already knew Mark was the one. I knew we were meant to be together but I did not want to admit it. Mark also knew. However, he knew BEFORE our first date that I was the one. We were only nineteen.

Five months later on Valentine's Day, Mark proposed and three months later on May 31, we got married. From first date to marriage was eight months, at the ages of nineteen and twenty.

Mark and I have been though a lot together. Moving three times and having two kids. And really growing up together. It has not always been easy, for either of us. Sometimes it has been painful or difficult beyond anything either of us could have imagined.

But more than that, it has been beautiful. It has been the best journey I have ever been on. I know God had Mark planned for me all along.

Mark, I am so glad you picked me to be your dance partner. I know we have stepped on each other's toes and knocked into each other. I know we did not always take the right steps. I know our dance was not always graceful or in tune with one another. But there is no one else I would have rather spent my life dancing with. It may be cheesy, which is totally me, but Garth Brooks said it best. I could have missed the pain. But I'd of had to miss the dance. And I would not have wanted to miss this dance with you over the last ten years for anything.

I love you for now and always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......