Skip to main content

Pleasantville

Last night I watched Pleasantville. I have seen the movie before, a few times even. People are always changing and I am not the same person I was when I saw the movie the first time. When I watched the movie this time, I thought more about what the movie stood for. What the point was.

I got the overall idea that in the beginning everyone only seeing in black and white was not good. That there was so much more out there than just black and white. I also see it as sometimes seeing all the colors is not a good thing. The people in Pleasantville did not know what they were missing. They were content with life as it was and it was not until someone showed them all that they were missing that they began to wonder more and more what else there was. Reminds me of the Bible and the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were fine and content until they ate from the tree of knowledge. And most of us know what happened from there.

After some more thought, I began to see it a different way. It is almost like going from innocence to losing that innocence. For some it happens sooner than for others due to life experience. For others it is over the course of time that new colors seep in. It is as if we are born only seeing in black and white. Then over time and through living life, we are introduced to new colors.

This has been so true for me in my life. And maybe it is because I come from a mindset of being naive. I am not sure. But it seems like in the last two years, I have begun to see more and more colors. And honestly, I do not like it. I think I would prefer to only see in black and white. A lot of the colors I see are the colors of pain, hurt, disappointment, loss. Colors I would prefer not even be in my line of sight. It is as if life has taken me on this journey and along the way all these colors were added because of all the events that have occurred over the last two years. I have watched friends get divorced, friends lose a child, family be ill, my own struggles. All these colors added. And it seems once you can see those colors, you can not take them away. Once they are added they are there for the rest of your life's walk. I think you can try and push the colors away or mute them. But then something happens and those colors spring back to life, brighter than ever before.

Maybe I am the odd one out here. I realize you have to take the good with the bad in life. As I have said before, sometimes things happen in your life that change your make-up of who you are so very much. And you can never go back. And wish as I might, I can never go back either. Back to where the pain was not so much. And love was perfect and made the world go round.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

De-Lurking Week

I forgot too that it was delurking week. Thanks for reminding me Amanda . Here you go... And by that I mean, if you are reading, leave a comment. Anyone can leave comments you just have to click anonymous and sign your name. My sister does it all the time. Come on, you know you want to......