Skip to main content

I Am Not The Only One

As we are planning our annual Girl's Night Out Christmas Shindig, one of the girls will not be able to make it. She lives a couple hours away and it is obviously not always easy to run up here. Plus, she has a baby. Anyway, through our e-mail correspondents yesterday, figuring out what to do and what to bring and all of that, Katie mentioned she would have an editorial in the paper she works for about turning 30 and having girlfriends.

Back in August, Denise and I took Katie out for dinner. While at dinner, both Denise (who turns 30 in January. The 15 to be exact.) and I lamented about how awful it was to have that looming in our very near future. Katie, who had just turned 29 in July, was not on board. What was the big deal about turning 30, she wondered. Ah, my friend who has JUST turned 29 had not been hit yet.

Sure, in lots of ways, we are still young. I know that. We can still get up off the floor. We can still have a couple drinks with the girls. Some of us, it seems, can still get up and go shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

I know part of the reason I FEEL old is that I have been married for nine years and I have a seven year old daughter. Katie finally had her moment over last weekend. Her moment when it hit her.

When you can remember a fashion trend and you wore it back in middle school, you have gotten old.

I also want to say a big 'ol thank you to Katie for writing the piece. Thank you for NOT using names, seeing as to how I am "the first one to hit my doomsday." I will let you all know how it goes. Once I join the other side. (the countdown is ON...one week to go.)

Comments

Dee said…
I love your friend's article. I too remember the leggings and oversized shirts. I felt so cool actually wearing something that was in style back then. When I see them now I definitely feel old. I'm about to hit 29 (in February) and I can already feel 30 creeping in.
Anonymous said…
Can we say "Just for Men"? Every time I trim the beard it exposes more gray hairs. Only two weeks behind you!
Anonymous said…
30 was a great year for me. I know everyone days that, but it really was.

I do remember riding the subway that morning and wondering if people could tell that I was 30. I also felt strangely proud of having lived so long.

Talking to my mom that night and hearing in her voice how weird it was to have your *child* turn 30, snapped me out of any geriatric self-pity that was creeping in.

I'll be 35 soon. Eeek.
Abby said…
KYLE!!! Hey, where are my pictures of that boy anyway?????

No school today.....enjoy the time. And keep warm. Holy night it is freezing.
Anonymous said…
No school Friday either! Woo hooo! It's great being a teacher.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, Little One

Both mommy and baby are doing very well. These are just a few from earlier today. More to follow later.

Ten Weeks, 209 days to go?!?!?

Here is the ten week shot y'all. If one more person asks if I am having twins, I am going to hurt them. Maternity clothes make me look even bigger but my regular clothes are not really fitting. I think I am at that stage where I just look like I have gained a lot of weight. Not fun really. Over 200 hundred days to go? Yikes. This summer should be fun.

Shameless Confession

I love to read. I have since I was little. I also have a bad habit of getting completely engrossed in what I am reading. Getting so wrapped up that I can not put the book down until I know what happens. I am still this way. I have no self control when it comes to reading. That is not the shameless part. What is shameless is what I like to read. Chick lit. There I said. I like to read the mindless dribble that is chick lit. Not romance novels. Just your run of the mill chick lit. Over the past couple of weeks I have reignited my love of reading. And I gave into the chick lit. What is it about this genre that does me in? I have found that I enjoy the books that involve being a mom as well. Which makes sense. It is relateable on that level in some way. I can not quite put my finger on the draw. The last three books I have read, I have been able to identify with the main characters in some way. Seeing as to how they were all moms. I also seem to like (this is even more